How to cook Chicken Tinola
- 1 kg chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 litre water
- 1 thumb-sized fresh ginger root, cut into strips
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green papaya, quartered
- fish sauce (optional seasoning)
- cooking oil
- lemongrass stalks
- In a medium saucepan or casserole dish, heat the oil over a medium heat. Saute the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the onions, stir-fry until softened and translucent.
- Add the chicken and cook until the colour changes. Season with fish sauce and salt.
- Add some water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until the chicken is half-done.
- add lemongrass
- Add the green papaya and continue simmering until the chicken softens but is not overcooked. Then turn off the heat and transfer to a serving dish.